Pages

Friday, August 6, 2010

Bunk Bed Shelf

So having 7 kids in a 1960's house sometimes prove challenging.  The bedrooms are small, I mean REALLY small.  So, with 2 kids to a room bunkbeds were the only option.


(Yup, that's the whole room, wall to almost wall)

Anyways,  my kids on the top bunk are ALWAYS complaining about no where to put their "stuff". 

Seriously, where do they sleep?

So we decided to make them these...
 (we took down the side rails- because the kids are "too big" for them, to quote their words, but they worked with the rails up too)

It was really simple too.  I took a piece of scrap wood (found in the Home Depot scrap bin for $1) and cut it to roughly 9"x13".  I also used some scrap 1x2's and scrap molding we had laying around in the garage.



First, I used my husbands air compressor & nail gun to attach everything, but it would be just as easy with a hammer & nails, or screws (you'd want to pre-drill)

I took the 9x13 piece of wood and nailed the 1x2's down the sides as follows.  I left roughly 2 feet of wood sticking out the back (that's what is going to hold it to the bed)


I then attached a piece across the front (I was making sides for the shelf, so nothing would fall off)


(excuse my filthy feet)

This next part is totally up to you.  My daughter wanted it a little fancy, so we used the molding to cover the rough edges.  My son wanted it really "boy" which means no fills, we we just sanded, and caulked and make it look good.  Then we covered it in a good coating of spray paint.



Once it's good and dry.  Lift up the mattress on the top bunk and slide the shelf supports under the mattress,  You can screw it into the wood slats under the mattress, but I didn't want it to permanently fixed. (be sure to warn the kids not to put too much on it, and not to stand or hang on it)



Now the "top bunkers" each have their own little night stand to put their stuff on.  (on a side note, don't you just love the little scripture covers my daughter designed for her scriptures)

Linking up with
















Photobucket

UndertheTableandDreaming



Sister Sister Sunday





6 comments:

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

I love that idea. I've thought of making something similar for a loft bed we have ... thanks for sharing!

Alison @ Oopsey Daisy said...

WOW! This is a fabulous storage solution. They turned out so cute!!

~Alison
http://oopsey-daisy.blogspot.com/

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

Hi Kattie! This is such a neat idea! So clever and creative. I am featuring this today {stop by and grab a featured button if you like} Thanks so much for joining the Sunday Showcase - I greatly appreciate it! Hope you have a wonderful week. ~ Stephanie Lynn

CIELO said...

Love to see creative people making wonderful things... ;) thanks for participating in our "Show Off Your Cottage Monday" and bringing us here!

Blessings

cielo

michaela hoenigman said...

BRilliant! We have the same problem at my house. What a great solution!

Unknown said...

What a creative idea! Your kids probably love it, thanks for linking up to Sister Sister Sunday!