Pages

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Heavenly Samoa Bars

So one of my other passions is cooking.... Baking to be more precise.... and if you want to get technical I LOVE to bake goodies with TONS of sugar!  So I thought I would show off one of my favorite recipes.  I found this one online sometime last year (sorry I forgot where, but if it is you let me know so I can give you the credit)  It is for Samoa cookies, you know, the heavenly Girl Scout cookies.  Well, according to my kids and most of the young women in my ward these are even better!

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 3/4 cup butter
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 3 cups shredded coconut
  • 12-oz good-quality chewy caramels
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 3 tbsp milk
  • 10 oz. milk chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease a 9×13-inch baking pan, .In a large bowl, cream together sugar and butter, until fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla extract. Working at a low speed, gradually beat in flour and salt until mixture is crumbly. like .Pour crumbly dough into pre-pared pan and press into an even layer. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until base is set and edges are lightly browned. Cool completely on a wire rack before topping.

Preheat oven to 300. Place coconut evenly on a lined baking sheet (preferably one with sides) and toast 20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes, until coconut is golden. Cool on baking sheet, stirring occasionally. Set aside.

Unwrap the caramels and place in a large microwave-safe bowl with milk and salt. Cook on high for 3-4 minutes, stopping to stir a few times to help the caramel melt. When smooth, fold in toasted coconut. Put dollops of the topping all over the shortbread base. and spread topping into an even layer. Let topping set until cooled.

When cooled, cut into 30 bars Once bars are cut, melt chocolate in a small bowl. Dip the base of each bar into the chocolate and place on a clean piece of parchment or wax paper. Drizzle remaining chocolate on bars.

PURE HEAVEN!


 

No comments: